Oculus Rising

Earlier today I happened to be near the east edge of the World Trade Center site, and I noticed the first bits of steel rising above-grade for the Oculus of the Santiago Calatrava-designed WTC Transportation Hub.

Unfortunately the only camera on me was the one on my "dumbphone," so pardon the quality:

[Top: Photo by John Hill | Bottom: Screenshot from EarthCam (click "Oculus" at bottom)]

Below my snap is an aerial view of the construction site from a webcam, captured today at 11:56am. The arrow shows where the steel in the street-level photo can be found in the overall plan, what is the eastern end of the Oculus near Church Street. It's not much steel, but it should be interesting to see this thing rise in the coming weeks, when I'll make sure to bring along my camera.

Comments