The In-between

I've always had a thing for interstitial spaces, those leftover gaps between inside and outside. Some architects try to exploit the tension that exists in these spaces, though many times these gaps are leftover spaces that are off limits or difficult to get at. A case in point is the space between the inner and outer shell of Brunelleschi's dome for the Duomo in Florence. This narrow and curving space is an awkward and apparently unwelcome path to the cupola and its breathtaking view, though definitely worth the claustrophobic feelings along the way.

In an exhibition currently at the Chicago Cultural Center (until March 19) and a concurrent one at Oak Park's Unity Temple, Dutch photographer Jan Theun van Rees scopes these in-between spaces, giving people a glimpse into places typically beyond their reach.

Missing image - vanrees1.jpg

Above shows one of his photos of Frank Lloyd Wright's Unity Temple (the area above the main space's stained glass ceiling), taken over four one-week visits. In a Sun-Times article, the photographer is quoted as saying, "At first I assumed there were no hidden spaces in a building like that, because it was designed so economically, but I was surprised."

Missing image - vanrees2.jpg

For his shots of the Cultural Center, he squeezed himself into the space between the Tiffany glass domes and the outer roof with his 40-pound camera. Similar in vein to the Duomo's double-shell, these bottom-lit spaces actually make one want to find a way to get into these gaps.

Comments

  1. I am relieved to know that I am not the only person who finds the "other spaces" interesting.

    I always look at walls and ceilings and wonder where do all the parts go. Like I see a column along a wall and I wonder where does it go once it's beyond my view. What connections are being made with that column and the rest of the building supports? Why hide it? I think buildings with exposed structure are the best. But there's also something in knowing about these hidden places; like knowing more than everyone else gives me a slight superiority complex.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam.