2007 Daily Year in Review

A look back at the year that was, as documented by this ol' blog.

In January, I visited 30 buildings in 30 days.

In February, the AIA released its 150 favorite structures (as picked by 1,800 Americans); the Grand Canyon Skywalk was under construction; Archinect gave us some reading suggestions; I wrote a paper on film noir and the automobile.

In March, select New Yorkers picked the ugliest buildings in New York; Architecture for Humanity released its Open Architecture Network; Banana Republic used architects to shill their merchandise; somebody bought a Peter Zumthor monograph for $836.00; Death by Architecture returned, redesigned; Richard Rogers won the Pritzker Prize.

In April, SANAA made Swiss cheese; I started literary dosing (in between my 40 Bond dumpster dives); Eikongraphia made a list; the Parasol rose; I chimed in on the reappraisal of Robert Moses.

In May, Burj Dubai reached halfway; Bruder Klaus Chapel was photographed; OMA and Foster squared off in the desert; Maison Tropicale was open for potential bidders; Google released Street Views; Postopolis! videotaped itself (beware, memory-intensive link!).

In June, I graduated from City College; a pink blob overtook Atlantic Yards; The Archi-Tourist moved (and it will be updated again, one of these days, I promise!); a Waldspirale was designed for The Bronx; the East River got crowded; Serra wowed MoMA visitors; One Jackson Square undulated; Stout started selling Kidder Smith's old library; I saw Manufactured Landscapes.

In July, I went on a road trip...to Washington D.C.; I started looking at firm faces; Inversion got the meme treatment; Charlie Kaufman started a new film; Queens residents poo-pooed a McModern; MVRDV designed a massive LACK table; Snøhetta played with sand.

In August, Charles Eames turned 100 (not really); I analyzed advertising on architecture blogs; Chuck E. Cheese took over Simmons Hall.

In September, The World Edition launched; I caught some Jihad Pop; Kolumba opened; Paul Rudolph buildings got torn apart; a Hadid saw better days.

In October, 12 Blocks won an award; a Holl building opened (no, not that one); I experienced A Psychic Vacuum; Richard Meier showed us some of his sculptures; Atelier Bow-Wow showed us their Graphic Anatomy; I tried to show a sense of solar scale; I reconsidered Javits Plaza; Ponte City was transformed (or at least marketed) for the upper class.

In November, I visited some NYC bookstores; an urban lobby emerged; a new Nouvel was unveiled; city planners and academics debated PLaNYC; I went home again and pondered a suburban future.

In December, the New New Museum opened; Hudson Yards was given the big developer, big architect treatment; you bought some holiday gift books; Oscar turned 100 (really); I visited Chicago and recapped the transformation; I recapped 2007.

Comments

  1. Being in the profession for over 30 years I find it hilarious that the 150 list has been removed from the aia150.org website.....

    ha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam.