Whales in Chicago?

Continuing the last post's theme of BAD - and picking up on Bryan's comment about lack of contextuality - I thought I would post this image of the Hotel InterContinental's east facade, a mural of whales both over and underwater.



Originally, I took the photo to capture a moment in the slow demolition of the building in the foreground, but I turned my camera vertically to fit in this odd wall painting. Someone like me can't help but think this mural is strangely out of place. As I saw it take shape many years ago on my walks to and from work, I wanted to believe it was temporary. But, alas, it's become a beloved part of Streeterville, though beloved mainly by tourists on their ride from Navy Pier back to the Magnificent Mile.

This just goes to show that even good, old architecture - in the wrong hands - can spawn something as tasteless as the new McDonald's.