Architects Like Paintings, Too

Tyler Green posts both his favorite painting(s) in America and favorite American painting(s) in response to the National Gallery launching a search for Britain's favorite painting. 

Throwing some suggestions into the mix, it didn't take long to think of my favorite paintings in America, both by my favorite painter Gerhard Richter and both in the permanent collections of American museums (correct me if I'm wrong).


Betty , 1988 St. Louis Art Museum


Two Candles, 1982 Art Institute of Chicago 

Picking a favorite American painting is a bit more difficult, taking my mind back to a university class on Modern American Art. Given that choosing something like this comes down to personal taste, for me that would be mid 20th-century abstract and abstract expressionist art. Which means a favorite wouldn't be a single work but a range of work by individual artists. So, in no particular order: 

Comments

  1. My favorite painting in America is undoubtedly Matisse's Piano Lesson. (Manhattan MoMa)

    Favorite American painter is alittle tougher, but I've always been partial to Philip Guston, if for no other reason than his daring return to figuration at a time when abstract expressionism reigned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam.