Spreebogen

A few days ago when I was hooked on the new European aerial views at Google Maps, I saw this HUGE development under construction just north of the Postdamer Platz Reconstruction and adjacent to Norman Foster's Reichstag. Looking through an old DOMUSdossier from 1995 on a plethora of architectural competitions in Berlin, I discovered the linear project is Axel Schultes's winning design for the Spreebogen Government Complex. The most notable feature of the project - and what probably gives it its name - is the fact it crosses the Spree River not once but twice, acting like a unifying element in a city long divided. Click on (rotated) aerial view for map link.

Missing image - spreebogen.jpg

Comments

  1. If you're interested, I can get you some recent (May this year) pictures of this building. I was just in Berlin and we did a boat tour of the Spree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. helms - That would be great. You can either e-mail it to me (link is top right of sidebar) or post some links here if they're online. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam.