Prouvé SOLD!

No, not that Prouvé (not 'til June 5), but some of these.

In the process of doing research for a final paper on Paris I came across this Phillips de Pury & Company design auction held a few days ago (May 24) in New York. With Prouvé still on my mind after the last post, I looked around and saw a number of items of his (alone and occasionally with Charlotte Perriand) on the block, as they say.

prouve-bookshelf.jpg
Bookshelf, 1958 by Charlotte Perriand and Jean Prouvé

So what were the results? (PDF link) 7 of 11 lots sold for a grand total of $107,160, or an average of $15,309 per sold item. Not bad. The highest bids went to a set of six "Standard" chairs (ca. 1950) and a large "Compass" desk (1948), each for $28,800. My favorite sold piece (not surprisingly) is the bookshelf above he designed with Perriand. I'll admit I like it, but not $24,000 like it.

Comments