ACB and '100 Years, 100 Buildings'

I've been a fan of ACB's (Art & Culture Bureau) half-hour architecture documentaries ever since I discovered them back in 2006. The series, directed by Richard Copans and Stan Neumann (individual docs are directed by them but sometimes by others), does an excellent job at explaining important buildings through location shooting, architectural models, interviews with the architects, and thoughtful narration.

When it came time for me to research the projects in my recently published book 100 Years, 100 Buildings, I watched all of the relevant ACB documentaries. From the 100 in my book, there are (now) 14 buildings that overlap, each of which is embedded below. For more ACB architecture documentaries, visit their YouTube playlist, where 59 of them are found as of today.

UPDATE 05/2017: Due to issues with the ACB YouTube page, their account was pulled. As I find or am notified about other sources for the videos I'll correct the embed codes below.

1923 Notre Dame du Raincy | Auguste Perret | Raincy, France


1926 Bauhaus Dessau | Walter Gropius | Dessau, Germany


1929 Barcelona Pavilion | Ludwig Mies van der Rohe | Barcelona, Spain


1950 Johnson Wax Buildings | Frank Lloyd Wright | Racine, Wisconsin, United States


1952 Säynätsalo Town Hall | Alvar Aalto | Säynätsalo, Finland


1964 Yoyogi National Gymnasium | Kenzō Tange | Tokyo, Japan


1971 Phillips Exeter Academy Library | Louis I. Kahn | Exeter, New Hampshire, United States


1977 Centre Georges Pompidou | Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers | Paris, France


1982 SESC Pompeia | Lino Bo Bardi | São Paulo, Brazil


1996 Therme Vals | Peter Zumthor | Vals, Switzerland


1997 Guggenheim Museum Bilbao | Frank Gehry | Bilbao, Spain


1999 Jewish Museum Berlin | Daniel Libeskind | Berlin, Germany


2000 Sendai Mediatheque | Toyo Ito | Sendai, Japan


2013 Xiangshan Campus, China Academy of Art | Amateur Architecture Studio | Hangzhou, China

Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of the ACB architecture documentaries. Very recently their account has been terminated by YouTube. A big blow, as I didn't get to see all of their videos. They really were of great quality :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It says, "This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content or other Terms of Service violations." Hard to believe, since they were posting their own content (at least I think that was the case). That's sad.

      Delete
    2. I think their issue might have been the movies they uploaded. There were a few art films that they might not have had the rights to such as "The Holy Mountain" and "Man with a Movie Camera" (those were the only ones I could remember). Also, The Holy Mountain definitely violated the content policy for its graphic nudity. I'm not sure if they posted movies similar to this, but I remember YouTube took that movie down fast. I really miss that channel though; lots of great content.

      Delete
  2. I will really miss these. Will keep an eye out for them elsewhere on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. found this
    Arquitectura Paisaje y Patrimonio
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO1tCHUlkdCpD2V-cfX3Cog/videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll update the code for any of the above that are featured there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam.