A Daily Dose of Architecture Books, Est. 2019

Last week I posted about the end of A Daily Dose of Architecture, the blog I started in 2004, five years after I launched my online endeavors with A Weekly Dose of Architecture. In that post I hinted that my blog would morph into something else. Well, here it is: A Daily Dose of Architecture Books. Surprised? If you're a longtime reader of this blog, probably not.

Why A Daily Dose of Architecture Books? Because:
  • I love books;
  • There are very few outlets, online or print, that give much coverage to architecture books;
  • I strongly believe in the value of print books in our digital age;
  • My daily doses featured so many books anyways (reviews, "briefs," "so you want to learn about" posts), it was just a matter of time before this blog focused on them outright;
  • Lately I've been unable to do many full-length book reviews, so this new blog will enable me to feature more books, albeit with shorter commentaries on them;
  • I love books — so much that I wrote it twice!
All the old posts from both A Daily Dose of Architecture (2004-2018) and A Weekly Dose of Architecture (1999-2014) will remain on this blog, though the new dDAB content will be tagged, and therefore easy to find among the 5,000+ posts, based on this weekly structure:
  • Monograph Mondays (that most popular, lasting form of the architecture book)
  • Technical Tuesdays (books on construction, drawing, materials, practice, technology, etc.)
  • World Wednesdays (books on cities and suburbs, regional architecture, travel guides, landscapes, photography, etc.)
  • History/Theory Thursdays (histories and theories of architecture but also criticism and the like)
  • Free-for-all Fridays (books that don't fit neatly into the above categories or maybe even veer outside of architecture)
  • Wayback Weekends (older books I want to highlight)
Although the idea is to post a recently published book on each weekday and an old book over the weekend, if a day comes and I don't have a book worth featuring, I'll skip it. For instance, if one week I don't have a good Technical Tuesday book to highlight, I'll wait until the next week rather than forcing myself to include one just because it fits the category. How will I know if these are books worth featuring? Like the book reviews I've done for years, the dDAB posts will not be blind recommendations; they will be based on firsthand experience with the books, either with print or PDF versions, and will therefore have my commentary. In turn, each post will have a consistent format:
  • Title, author, publisher, and date of publication
  • Cover image
  • Publication details (hard/softcover, book size, page count, # pages and illustrations, language(s), ISBN #, cover price)
  • Description from the publisher
  • dDAB commentary
  • Spreads from inside book
  • Author bio
  • Referral links
dDAB posts will commence next week. In the meantime, I'm going to tweak the design of this blog to give it a slightly different look, update things on my social media channels, and take care of some other "housecleaning" for this, my latest online undertaking.

Comments