Archidose, 1999–2024

After 25 years of running this blog under various names — all of which can be lumped under the "Archidose" monicker — I've decided to shut it down, moving this hobby, this labor of love, to Substack, which I have used since mid-2021 and where I will continue to send out weekly newsletters focused on architecture books, but in a new format. (You can subscribe to my newsletter here or on Substack.) So, this isn't "goodbye" as much as it is "see you in your inbox." 
Grayer and hopefully wiser: me, John Hill, from the mid-1990s until today

Besides thinking something along the lines of, Wait! 25 years?, you also may be wondering, Why stop now? The now, January 2024, is because I happen to like fives, it turns out — so much so that every significant thing related to this blog has occurred in five five-year intervals (this is by chance, not by design, I swear):
In terms of the why, I've thought of that question a little bit, and outside of it just feeling like it's the right time, here are a handful (again!) of reasons:
  • Very few people read blogs anymore (true, that was also the case 10 years ago, but I kept at it until now, as I liked doing it)
  • More people subscribe, open, and read my Substack newsletter than those who click on the links to this blog or find their way here in some other manner to read my posts (the logical step, therefore, is to put everything in the newsletter...but not behind a paywall, mind you)
  • Blogger is outdated, with infrequent updates; its themes/templates are buggy; adding content is frustrating (this list could go on near endlessly)
  • Substack’s formatting is much easier and more elegant than Blogger (see next bullet point, too)
  • This blog takes up too much of my time, time I'd rather spend on other things (the new newsletter will be easier to produce than this blog, but hopefully it will be helpful and therefore worth people's time in opening it and reading it)
But stopping this blog also makes me wonder what it amounted to, if anything. Is there enough good content on this blog to put some of it on paper, to make it a more permanent thing? Or is the content simply of its time and therefore best to leave here in the digital ether? I don't know, to be honest, and when I dig back through some of the posts I veer from thinking the things I wrote were really good to thinking they were garbage ... okay, not quite garbage, but not special enough for a bound volume tucked away in a library somewhere. The truth is somewhere between these poles, I reckon, so hopefully I'll come up with a way to make sense of this side project, this 25-year undertaking, and turn what I did into something else even more rewarding.

Comments

  1. John, thank you for your massive contribution to the discourse of Architecture through this space! Archidose was really the first architectural blog I came across on the internet, and your articles, reviews, and curated links provided so much inspiration through my early years in this profession. Even though you're shutting it down, I don't think archidose.blogspot.com could ever disappear from my browser's bookmarks. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nate. Readers/commenters like you kept me going all these years!

      Delete
  2. Thank you John for Archidose and your informed wit and intellect . . . you prove that journalism and criticism is alive and well . . . we all go through transformations and have to discard one cocoon for another . . . from my vantage point it appears like you are becoming wiser and spreading your wings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your work! I hope the content stays up for posterity. While de-socialmediaing my life, I've returned to Feedly and blogs as a great daily read, but yeah it's a graveyard now. So many blogs where I'll click to see their last post and it was in 2014, about the same time we all got sucked into facebook and twitter. Hopefully people decouple themselves from that, and whatever comes out in the next version of the internet I hope it's got good stuff like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure I'm keeping the content here...until/unless Google discontinues Blogger, which I wouldn't put past them. I can sympathize; like you, I've moved away from social media, though now I rely on email subscriptions rather than aggregators, as I did a long time ago. And thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  4. Hi John, I don't remember when I started reading your blog, it must have been somewhere between 2002 and 2009 during my architecture studies. Your writing has been a constant presence when everything around me kept changing. I stopped working as an architect to go into academia and then left that to work in communications for architecture firms. Lately, I've been considering quitting architecture once and for all, but I wanted to thank you for introducing me to so many great buildings and books and for nurturing my love for architectural writing. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Marcela, and sharing your story. Architecture is a tough racket, I concur. Best of luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam.